I love carrots, they are just so tasty! People think I’m a little strange for my love of carrots but I just can’t get enough of them.
Anything that’s made with carrots I’m a huge fan of and this carrot and walnut bread really hits the spot.
Carrot cake has always been a favourite of mine so I thought I’d make some changes to make a healthy alternative. This bread is free of refined sugar and made with whole wheat flour. The carrots make the bread wonderfully moist and the walnuts add a nice crunch. It’s speckled with orange zest which adds a citrusy summer freshness to it!
I love to eat this as a mid-morning snack, particularly on those days when I do a 6:30am yoga class. Or if you’d prefer to eat this as more of a dessert, it’s delicious with a coconut cream icing.
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- ⅓ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1.5 cups of grated carrot (2 carrots)
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 1.5 cups of almond milk (or your favourite milk)
- ⅓ cup of honey
- 2 teaspoons of ground flaxseed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of orange zest
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Add flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, flax seed, and cinnamon to a large mixing bowl
- Peel and grate carrots and add the bowl with the flour
- Zest one orange and add to the bowl
- Roughly chop walnuts and add to the bowl
- Melt coconut oil and add to a separate bowl, along with the honey and milk and stir well until honey is combined
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well
- Add egg to the mixture and stir well
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper and pour mixture in
- Sprinkle a few chop walnuts over the top of the bread
- Bake in oven for 1 hour. After 45 minutes take out of oven and check to see if it is ready by pocking a sharp knife or cake tester through the centre. If it comes out clean it is ready otherwise pop back in the oven for the remainder of the time
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for around 15 minutes. Take bread out of tin and leave to cool on a cooling tray